Donna Baxter wasn't a horse-crazy kid. In fact, she didn't begin her equestrian journey until the late 90's, entering the horse world as an adult when her own daughters took up riding. However, it is this unusual background that gives Donna such a special connection to horses. Looking at the horse world through the eyes of a compassionate adult, Donna's late introduction to horses allowed her to perceive horses without pre-conceived notions or childhood conditioning. This nuanced awareness helped Donna recognize aspects of equine behavior, performance, and care that many riders take for granted. By questioning and furthering her knowledge base, Donna's desire for understanding horses led to a deeper level of communication and interpretation through their bodies and being. This perspective, which honors the horse's “voice” through his or her behavior, reactions, and physical state, gave rise to Donna's desire to bring balance to the horse's physical wellbeing and the horse/rider relationship.
Today, Donna is an accomplished leader in equine education, with over 20 years of service at the local and regional level of the United States Pony Club. She has held various board positions for the Vashon-Maury Island Horse Association and is an active member of the Puget Sound equestrian community. Donna competes in eventing with her horse Quin, who was purchased in 2001 as a feral four year old who wouldn't even approach humans for food. She lives with her husband and eldest daughter on the pastoral island of Vashon, Washington. Her youngest daughter is a veterinary technician. Three horses, a goat, a dog, a cat, and a hedgehog complete Donna's farm and family.
Donna's formal training for equine bodywork includes Equinology, Inc., as well as the Northwest School of Animal Massage, where she now holds a faculty position as an instructor.
• Equine Kinesiology Taping | Equi-Tape | 2015
• Equinology Equine Myofascial Release | Equinology, Inc. | 2015
• National Board of Certification for Animal Acupressure & Massage (NBCAAM) | 2013
• Equinology Equine Bodyworker (EEBW) | Equinology, Inc. | 2002
• Equine Acupressure | Northwest School of Animal Massage | 2017
• Equi-Tape Equine Kinesiology Taping Practitioners Training and Practicum | Northwest School of Animal Massage | 2016
• Equine Myofascial Release Level 2 | Equinolgy, Inc. | 2015
• Equine Myofascial Release Level 1 | Equinology, Inc. | 2015
• Stress Point Therapy, Myofascial Release and Trigger Point Therapy | Northwest School of Animal Massage | 2014
• Advanced Manual Ligament Therapy review course | Northwest School of Animal Massage | 2014
• Equine Bodywork and Anatomy | Equinolgy Inc. | 2013
• Advanced Manual Ligament Therapy | Northwest School of Animal Massage | 2012
• Manual Ligament Therapy | Northwest School of Animal Massage | 2012
• Advanced Equine Massage Techniques EQ103 | Equinology, Inc. | 2009
• Equine Massage Therapist EQ100 | Equinology, Inc. | 2002
• IEBWA | International Equine Body Workers Association
• NBCAAM | National Board of Certification for Animal Acupressure and Massage
• ABMP | Associated Bodywork & Massage Professionals